13 July 2016

31 Griffin Street
















My Pa is selling his house soon. Selfishly, I am very very sad at the thought of him not living there anymore. This is the house in Geelong I have been going to my whole life. It's where my mum, aunt and uncle grew up. It's the house my Nanna passed away in. And when it sells it will probably be demolished to make way for flats.. the same thing that is happening in almost every city around the world.

Of course it makes sense that he moves somewhere more manageable for him and his wife Leila. But I struggle to think of him living anywhere else. He has been there 62 years. The bird cage out the back, the back room where his train set is, the swing in the back yard that I remember from my childhood, and even from my mum's childhood (seen in photos) - it's all a part of my memories visiting as a child and as an adult. 

I luckily got the chance to take a few photos when I was in Australia a month ago when I visited for a couple of days. These will help me never forget the front room full of family photos, the spoons that my Nanna used to collect and the cabinets in the kitchen full of fancy china never used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment