27 March 2016

Exploring the New Forest

















When my friends and I went away for NYE, there were three of us that really wanted to go on longer walks. So we decided to try and do a few during the year and have it as an excuse to get together and explore areas that we haven't been before in the UK.

We had our first weekend away a few weeks ago in a little fishing village near Southampton called Lymington. We chose Lymington so that we could go walking / cycling in The New Forest. I have always wanted to go there because I had hear there are ponies wandering around! 

The New Forest is a national park consisting of unenclosed pasture land, heathland and forest. There are lots of cute little villages - and of course the ponies that can wander around different sections of the Forest.

We decided to walk from Lymington to Brockenhurst, which should have been an easy stroll. It ended up being a very muddy walk - almost like a Tough Mudder course! We had a good laugh but I think we were all very happy when we finally made it to Brockenhurst.

We then hired bikes so we could see more of the Forest - it was such a good decision. We cycled for about three hours - stopping (or being stopped by) near the ponies. Apparently they are owned by locals who breed them and sell them. At the beginning of our ride we thought they were wild so I was so excited when one came up to me and let me pat it! We found out later they are semi-tame - although that didn't stop me from still being excited :-) 

It was a lovely relaxed weekend away, especially as there was a bath in the flat we were in - we were all able to have a soak with a glass of prosecco while watching TV (yes, there was a TV in the bathroom - proper fancy!). It was the perfect girls weekend away - I can't wait till our next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment