15 November 2015

Some boats in Brittany









A few weeks ago I had a week's holiday with one of my oldest friends Louise. Lou is a creative soul, and she has a lot of loves and hobbies. One of her biggest loves is the sea, and lighthouses. I hadn't given too much thought to lighthouses - they're cool to look at and they do a very important job but that's about all I knew about them.

After spending a week with Lou is Brittany, I have a newfound affection for them. We spent a couple of days 'hunting' them down along the coastline. Lou was telling me that the French don't love their lighthouses like some other countries, and often they are in disrepair. What we also found was that they weren't well marked on maps.

But we persevered, and drove and drove and walked until we found them. It was amazing experience! All of this about lighthouses isn't actually about the photos in this post (I'll put those pics in another post) - this is an explanation for why we were in a little Brittany town called Camaret-sur-Mer, on the Crozon Peninsula, in the very west of France.

From Camaret-sur-Mer, we were able to drive to a couple of points to see some lighthouses far out in the distance (yes, Lou had brought binoculars with her - a true lighthouse-hunter!). We read in the Lonely Planet that this little fishing village had some abandoned fishing boats decaying along the seafront, so we went to check them out before we grabbed a quick lunch (crab on baguette and the most sickly sweet dessert bread I have ever had - epic and excellent).

How can something that is rotting away be so beautiful? We were both really taken with them. I rarely print photos these days, but I think a couple of these will make their way to a wall in my home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment